Labor Day is an annual celebration of workers and their achievements.We pay tribute to the contributions and achievements of American working people, who have made the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.
Today is a holiday in many countries.But in transportation, many people are still hard working. Those people are the reason your cargo or parcel miraculously arrive at your doorstep.
When is Labor Day ?
Labor day is also known as International Workers’ Day, in some countries.In Bulgaria where our office overseas is located and where the majority of our team is from, we celebrate it on May 1st. But in the United States , people celebrate it on the first Monday of September. This means today – 7th of September.For the Americans May 1st is Loyalty Day, but they don’t widely recognize this holiday.
The U.S. Department of Labor’s official tribute to U.S. workers on Labor Day:
“The vital force of labor added materially to the highest standard of living and the greatest production the world has ever known, and has brought us closer to the realization of our traditional ideals of economic and political democracy. It is appropriate, therefore, that the nation pays tribute on Labor Day to the creator of so much of the nation’s strength, freedom, and leadership — the American worker.”
Why not wearing white clothes after Labor day ?
According to Valerie Steele, director of the Museum at the Fashion Institute of Technology”It [was] insiders trying to keep other people out,”. In other words the “you can’t wear white after Labor Day,” rule was created to separate the old money elitists from the new money group.Wearing white during the summer months became a symbol of luxury, or snobbery, depending on the outlook.For those who had money and could leave the city during warmer months, white was considered vacation attire.
Although the true reason could be much simpler: Labor Day is also deemed as the (unofficial) end of summer. “There used to be a much clearer sense of re-entry,” explained Steele. “You’re back in the city, back at school, back doing whatever you’re doing in the fall—and so you have a new wardrobe.”
Activities to enjoy during the long weekend
Despite the days off on Labor day, the holiday is filled with mixed emotions due to the ending summer. Because the approaching school season and things are getting more serious, many of us would like to take the time to enjoy these ,,last days’’ .
Matrix team lists some activities you can try on Labor day.
- Turn your backyard into a movie theater – consider setting up an outdoor movie theater during the late afternoon when the weather gets a little cooler. Add cozy seating,order pizza, pop popcorn, hang string lights , drink your favorite drinks. All of that will give that extra ambience. Enjoy the moments with your friends and family.
- Set up a sprinkler system-if this weekend happens to be a ,,hot weekend’’ , a great way of dealing with it is to set up a sprinkler. Kids love running through it . It’s also a great chance for you to call out your inner child and have some fun !
- Ride a bike– this is a great solution if you are seeking a social distance travel. Get your bike or rent one. Enjoy summer by taking a leisurely peddle on your favorite track, or even better, find a new one to explore.
- Experience a drive-in movie-Forget about your Netflix Account! Find the nearest drive-in theater. Buy some snacks , popcorn or candies and enjoy them with your friends from the comfort of your car.
- Organize a hot dog cookout-There’s probably nothing more American than hot-dogs. So gather your friends and family ,serve up a side of beans with the meal and let the party begin !
- Camp in the backyard– this is also a great opportunity to watch for shooting stars ! Make a sleepover under the stars. Tell different stories to each other ( scary or not -it depends on you ) and take advantage of last vacation days.
Matrix Trucks wishes you a wonderful Labor Day !